Italian Caesar Salad
for the salad:
3 small heads (or2 large heads) romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 1/2 ounces shaved Parmesan
for the dressing:
3 garlic cloves
4 anchovy fillets, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the barbecue for high heat.
- Grill the lettuce until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side.
- Cut the lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- Finely chop the garlic and anchovies in a food processor.
- Blend in the lemon juice and mustard.
- With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil.
- Season the dressing, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- On a serving platter, mound the grilled chopped lettuce.
- Decoratively scatter the sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts.
- Drizzle with enough dressing to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle Parmesan and scatter croutons over.